Re: Clothes Lines
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:39:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 17, 2006, at 10:26 AM, eileen mccourt wrote:

Paso Robles, CA has a rule against clotheslines that are visible to the
street, which I think many suburban cities do. Since we are in the city
limits, we have to follow that rule.

When we first moved in several people wanted a clothesline and were so excited at the prospect of not using dryers and having their clothes smell "sun fresh." Since I had spent my teenaged years helping with the laundry every Saturday using wringer washer and hanging several bushel baskets (remember those?) out to dry was not at all excited about this. I was coming off a decade of living in buildings in Manhattan that didn't allow washers and dryers in units. I was excited to have a washer and dryer in my unit. I wasn't about to give it up for a clothesline.

What really stopped the clothesline, aside from not really having a good place for one, was a neighbor's remark. I was showing her around she was admiring the laundry room on the commonhouse. I said we do have this but many people want to put up a clothes line outside the laundry room door. She immediate bristled. "Not in this neighborhood." She was sure the white trash had landed.

A few people occasionally put things to dry on racks on their balconies but no one really wants to be treated to their neighbor's underwear flapping in the wind.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC