Re: Rental units
From: NetiPotLady (NetiPotLadyaol.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:47:59 -0700 (PDT)
We have several units that are rental units, bought by people who live
nearby but not in our community. These owners do participate on occasion in
community meetings, and other community events.  There have been some  problems
with
some of the rental units, as some of the tenants have not  been participatory
in the cohousing community. I'd make sure that you have in  place some clear
expectations of renters (as well as owners) and maybe a cap on  how many of
these rental units (not owner occupied) you want to  allow in the community.
Some of our renters are wonderful participating  community members, others have
not been. I believe part of the problem is  definitely our community's lack of
a clear participation agreement even for  owners who occupy their units. Our
membership team is now working on this after  most of us have lived here close
to two years or more. We have also asked owners  who rent, to attach an
expectation agreement (of participation in the community)  to their lease.  A
work
in progress!!!

Gina
Stone Curves Cohousing