Re: ""Targeting the wealthy, " "living in tents, " and other red herrings
From: juniperjojo (juniperjojoaol.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:12:56 -0700 (PDT)
Lion,

Whether one is or is not a "permanent" resident of a community is (1) not
wholly within one's control, and (2) not an indicator of integrity.  Many
people move frequently:  because they like to experience different cultures,
because their job demands it, because their circumstances change and they can
no longer afford their old neighborhood, because their circumstances change and
they can afford a nicer neighborhood, because they marry and have children,
because they divorce, because their children move away, because they need a
bigger house, because they need a smaller house, because their health requires
it, because they like fixing up old houses, because their view isn't as nice as
it used to be, because they are too old to care for their property; because
they can no longer go up a flight of stairs, because they hate their neighbors,
because a hurricane swept their house away and the government won't let them
rebuild, etc.

In answer to your "rhetorical" question about where people will live after
they've invested in their houses and their children are in college -- well,
they'll live in one of the many, many parts of this country where the cost of
living is lower because of a thousand reasons (mostly, because of not being
close to an urban center with lots of high-paying jobs).  When *my* chlid is
grown, I hope to move somewhere that's pretty and warm, where I won't have to
deal with commuter traffic, and the property values are LOW.  Who knows where
that will be?  I'll just have to wait and see.

And no, there are no guarantees.  Not gold, not paper money, not even land, my
friend.  The only real riches are the ones in our hearts.  But because no one
will give me food or a roof over my head or medical care in exchange for my
good looks, I have accepted the fact that I have to work for a living, and if
I'm going to earn money I need to do something with it, and I'd rather invest
in my house than keep my money under a mattress.  And no one on this list serve
is advocating the frequent buying and selling of cohousing properties in order
to make a quick buck, and that is where YOU appear to be confused.  The fact
that I worried about the eventual resale value of my cohousing home before I
even bought it does not make me morally equivalent to your real estate
"mentor," nor does it preclude me from claiming full status as a neighbor.

Jenny Cook
Great Oak Cohousing
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Message: 7