Re: NC Conference
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:03:13 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 Ann Zabaldo wrote:

> ... the cohousing conference this past weekend in Chapel Hill,
> a fabulous meeting ground it was for cohousers of all
> stripes. There was programming for newbies and oldsters, professionals
> and "regular" folks, those just starting out and those building yet
> another coho community.
>
> More than 225 people attended this conference sponsored by The Cohousing
> Association of the US.

> ... [It] was organized by fewer
> than 10 people working many months in advance of the event.

I remember the 1997 conference was organized largely by Marci M. from
Puget Ridge Cohousing.  That was the one at which Coho/US was established
(under a different name).  My impression is that she did an inordinant
amount to make it happen, probably too much.  I've seldom heard from her
since. Nothing in a long time.  I'm afraid the conference may have burned
her out on Coho/US like activities.  I don't even know if she is still at
Puget Ridge. Note that this my interpretation but still...

So with that introduction, were the 10 people that organized this year's
conference able to keep the task reasonable?
Over taxing folks seems to me to be counterproductive in the long run.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, the cohousing promotion task I have
chosen to perform, running this list, has shown no signs of "burning me
out". Most days it is not a big task - some mouse clicks, maybe some
judgement calls, maybe writing a few email messagess.  And it fits in with
my other activities ( http://justcomm.org among others). On the other hand
it goes on more or less daily for about 13.75 years so far.

The recent message expressing disappointment about list content (which I
thought overstated the case some) was discouraging but I'm confident or at
least hopeful that this too shall pass.  Folks interested in cohousing
very much tend to be very civil folks which has been the main reason this
discussion has been so useful over the years.  Thank you all.

Fred

Communications for Justice - My new listserv org.       UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)