Re: Orientation for new people/Waiting Lists
From: vicky wason (vlwasonhotmail.com)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 06:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I'm new to this list, but not new to co-housing. I've lived at Wasatch Commons in Salt Lake City, UT for 7 1/2 years. I'm on our "welcoming committee" and want to get some input from other groups on how you handle orientation for new people BEFORE they move in and waiting lists.

Here is the system we have right now.  It is pretty loose.

Right now I keep "the book" with names of anyone that calls or comes for a tour. When a house becomes available the owner contacts me to look at the book and then they call people that might be interested. The people interested are told by me and/or the owner that we require them to attend 3 events before moving in:

ACM
Meal
Committee Meeting

This isn't documented or strictly enforced and hasn't been a huge problem from my prospective, but we might want to make some changes. So I'm looking to see what other communities are doing.

The purpose of having people do these 3 things is for them to get to know us before moving in. We don't really have a "waiting list" but more of a book of everyone that has ever expressed interest. We have recently had more interest in co-housing in Salt Lake and more people calling and coming by. We are thinking that it might help sellers if these "requirements" are taken care of BEFORE they are contacted so that negotiations can begin right away, and there is no questions from the community about whether the new owner has gotten the information needed before joining.

So if you are interested in this topic, please post
1) how do you handle a waiting list
2) What requirements or suggestions do your have of people before they move in
3)  And what works for your group

Thanks

Vicky Wason
Wasatch Commons