achieving income and other diversity goals
From: Phyllis Fisher (phyfisherearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:33:19 -0700 (PDT)
I am a member of a developing cohousing community. Because one of our values is
income diversity, some of us were disappointed to learn from a member who
attended the recent North Carolina cohousing conference that other communities
have experienced difficulty both with implementing affordability programs and
with low-income members. Here is a quote from the report.

“Special financing (federal or other) to low income families] was discussed at
some length at the conference in North Carolina.  There is very little money
for middle-income housing.  Only for lower income….

There were other problems in some projects where some units were reserved for
lower-income groups:

--Lower income families were so desperate to get into decent subsidized housing
that they pretended to be interested in community participation until they
could move in, but then tended not to be very involved and dropped out of
community participation.

--Having really lower income people made adopting annual budgets and setting
the monthly homeowners fees much more difficult."

We would like to learn more about the experience of groups with relatively wide
income diversity among members – how you achieved such diversity, what
difficulties you encountered in implementation, and what the benefits and
drawbacks are to the community.

Also, we'd like to know if any groups have approached the whole issue of
diversity by reserving units for any class of member other than those with low
income.  We've been told that such an approach is illegal.

Thanks,

Phyllis Fisher