Re: Remember when?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:59:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 26, 2006, at 10:20 AM, Molly Lazar wrote:

We were having an impromptu potluck/cookout on our pedway one Saturday night this spring. These are some of my favorite times in our neighborhood, when the weather cools and the sun filters through the trees, and everyone feels relaxed. The adults chat while the children have adventures around us. Someone asked my daughter Ava, not yet 2, about her potty training. She was emboldened by this and ran into our house. She returned lugging her potty. Before we knew what was going on, she had neatly and amply performed on her potty, in the middle of the pedway. She received enthusiastic applause from the 20-some cohousers seated nearby.

This is a wonderful story. I was thinking this morning (after a frustrating week) what I would want to keep if I walked away from cohousing and it was the kid-friendly environment. That's one reason so many generations fled to the country and suburbs -- you could have kids there and they weren't just in the way or expected to be quiet.

When I drive around and look at condos and think that's a nice place, then I realize that it really isn't because there are no kids. They aren't welcome. If they are there they are expected to be invisible -- no bikes, no tot toys, no homemade forts, no chairs left over from parents sitting around watching them. No residue of actual living.

Sharon Villines
Save Our Planet. It's the only one with chocolate.