Re: achieving income and other diversity goals
From: patjavcc (patjavccaol.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 06:31:15 -0700 (PDT)
 Hello,

Providing ways to get economic diversity in cohousing was one of our biggest
goals here in Boston's JPCohousing, (one year move in this June.)

Of our 30 units, we have 15 very low, low, and mod income households (based on
the HUD guidelines for affordability).  The other 15 households are considered
'high' income by these guidelines.

There are some important things to do at the onset:

1) Make an absolutely no customizations rule.  Once your design committee comes
up with the basic plans and materials, even if you have a household who will
pay cash in advance, they should not be permitted to get special cabinets,
fixtures, etc. until after they move in.  One of the keys to keeping the
overall costs down, is to not allow the delays that happen because of
customizations.

2) Allow qualifying households to pay a lessor percent to become an equity
member, and allow those households to make payments toward this goal, instead
of requiring full cash deposits.  (At JPC, equity costs were 7% of estimated
unit purchase price, 5% for low income - payment plan available.)  To make up
the cash shortful that may occur, provide interest incentives to members who
can pay more than 7%.

3) Build an affordability fund into your budget.  Ours was a straight 50K line
item.  How you use this money doesn't need to be decided right away.  We have
in our condo docs that this fund will be administered by a sub group.  Ideas
for usage: assist a low income family temporarily with condo fees, assist if a
household loses income because of illness, job loss, etc.  Low and mod income
families will be attracted to a project that has thought ahead to create such a
fund.  After one year, we have not tapped this fund yet.

4) At JPC we created a co-purchase option.  Households were given the option to
invest into a fund.  The fund then co-purchased, (second or third position
behind the traditional mortgage) a qualifying household's unit.  The fund
receives a return when the house sells, sharing in the profit of the sale based
on what % the fund 'owns' of the unit.  This program was very effective in
allowing at least 4 households to buy units.  Without this co-purchase plan,
the households would have been only 10K-30K short of being able to move in.
Write me off line if you'd like more info on this program.

5) Finally, try to be as inviting as possible.  Tell everyone when they start
to attend meetings, "Don't let money issues get in the way of you joining at
this early stage.  So many things can change in the next few years, including
the unit prices."  If you can attract and keep your lower income members
involved during development, you will be amazed at the 'magic' that happens
when wealthier neighbors begin to help their lower income development partners.
 This is something that you can't 'sell' at an orientation, but try very hard
to keep the low income households interested in the beginning.

We do not have the problem of low income families not participating.  We also
do not have the problem of low income families causing problem with HOA monthly
costs and decision.  I think the key reason is that many of these households
worked with us for years on this project before move in.  They understand the
needs of their wealthier neighbors and respect those needs too.

This is one of my favorite subjects!
Patti
JPCohousing, Boston