Art of Community Northwest Conference - Seattle - September 8-10, 2006
From: Neil Planchon (neilswansway.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 06:43:36 -0700 (PDT)
THE ART OF COMMUNITY NORTHWEST CONFERENCE
Co-Opportunities for Sustainability

DATE: September 8-10, 2006
TIME: from 5 PM Friday to 10 PM Sunday
LOCATION: Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA
MORE: http://fic.ic.org/aofc/

"Early Bird" Registration until August 8th!
REGISTER NOW
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4636

Greetings! We hope you join us

A team of committed community folks has been pulling together what promises to be a great Art of Community event this fall in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Our intention for the event is to promote and support communities that recognize and practice sustainability. We will do this with interactive workshops and panels, hearing from some fantastic plenary speakers, interspersing music, art, a live auction, and plenty of networking opportunities, including display and information tables hosted by communities and sustainability-oriented organizations.

A number of well-known writers and community leaders will help as we weave the web of community networks. Some of the presenters already scheduled include:

Diana Leafe Christian, Communities magazine editor; author: Creating a Life Together

Lisa Fitzhugh, ArtCorps Executive Director

Mark Lakeman, Portland City Repair Coordinator

Geoph Kozeny, the Peripatetic Communitarian from Communities magazine & Visions of Utopia producer

Vicki Robin, Cofounder of Conversation Cafes, and New Road Map Foundation; Author, Your Money or Your Life

David Korten, Author, and The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community and cofounder, Positive Futures Network

WORKSHOPS AND PANELS
http://fic.ic.org/aofc/program.htm

WHY THIS CONFERENCE?

Here is a place to learn about working models of sustainability...and share your own ideas.

Art of Community Northwest will bring together people interested in building community wherever they live, and will highlight successful and sustainable efforts in a variety of communities.

This is a great opportunity to meet people from existing and forming Northwest communities, including ecovillages, cohousing, egalitarian, housing cooperatives.

Learn about ways to be more sustainable through green and natural building techniques, creating community spaces, supporting local agriculture and permaculture.

Community networks are joining the FIC to provide sponsorship support to help ensure the event is a success. These include the Northwest Intentional Communities Association (NICA), Cohousing Association of the United States (Coho/US) and the Federation of Egalitarian Communities (FEC). Other sponsors include nonprofits like Rites of Passage Journeys, Institute of Noetic Sciences Northwest, and Yes! Magazine, plus business collaborators such as GreenWorks Realty. Other community organizations, including Songaia Cohousing Community and the International Puppydogs Movement are also stepping up to support the event.

Sliding scale online registration is fast and easy. Please register in advance! This venue is expected to sell out, so we encourage you to register now, to reserve your space. Also, the sliding scale fees will go up as of August 8. Click on the registration link below to take advantage of our early bird rate.

"Early Bird" Registration until August 8th!
REGISTER NOW
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4636

MEALS AVAILABLE AT BASTYR - VEGAN AND VEGETARIAN OPTIONS!

We have a great venue in Bastyr University, which is located within the beautiful St. Edwards state park. The grounds of the campus are beautiful and provide for nature experiences in the Douglas Fir trees and walking along the shores of Lake Washington.

Bastyr is known for its natural health education and great vegan and vegetarian food service. Because of the relatively remote location of Bastyr's campus, there are no restaurants in walking distance. We recommend choosing meals on site, which you must sign up for in advance, along with your registration.

MEALS ONLINE
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/5455
Otherwise, bring some food along!

MORE ABOUT BASTYR, INCLUDING DIRECTIONS
http://www.bastyr.edu/

CAMPING OPTION AVAILABLE
Contact Fred Lanphear at fred [at] songaia.com to get information on a community that has offered to make camp sites available to our attendees that weekend.

AUCTION ITEMS
If you have a product or service that the FIC can use in the benefit auction, please contact Harvey Baker at harvey [at] ic.org who will keep the inventory of items. Please also cc your message to Laird Schaub at laird [at] ic.org.

One of our team members will follow up with you about how to get the item to our conference site for Art of Community.

A big thank you to our amazing sponsors! Check out their links on our website: http://fic.ic.org/aofc/ for more information about each of them.

You may still become a sponsor! Please contact Syd Fredrickson, gogreen [at] usa.com Coordinator of Sponsorhip Development and Outreach if you are interested in being a sponsor, having a table, or donating items to our live auction.

We look forward to seeing you at Art of Community Northwest!