Re: Reserve Studies
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 06:07:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 8, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Sharon Villines wrote:
I certainly like the goal of keeping the real estate in a roughly
constant good condition, but I'm wondering if there are other ways to
implement that goal that don't involve saving a pile of near-cash.

Good maintenance. Using materials that last longer, like tin roofs.
That lowers reserve requirements but cash of some kind would still be
required since our economy is based on it. Even if your community is
off the grid, you would still need cash.

I forgot to mention that reserve funds also affect resales. A good lawyer will inspect all your condo docs and financial papers and expect to see whatever the lawyer thinks are good reserve funds.

In Manhattan, the real estate people seem to memorize things like reserve fund figures and advise against good and bad buildings, for example.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC