Re: how many people for common meal...just starting
From: R.P. Aditya (adityagrot.org)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:36:39 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 05:21:39PM -0700, Douglas G. Larson wrote:
> 5) We have food buyers who do all the buying. In fact we discourage the
> cooks from doing the buying, to minimize impulse buying and expenses. We
> buy a large part of our food wholesale and the buyers watch for specials
> and the various outlets they use. As a cook I personally would feel
> overwhelmed if I have to plan a meal and buy for a crowd of 36 people. I
> am thankful for our buyers. Of course this systems only works if you
> have people with the time to do buying.

this is quite inspiring -- and brings up more nuts-and-bolts questions:

- who decides menus?

- how far in advance?

- how do you store perishables? or does a buyer buy them often enough that you
don't need large refrigerated storage?

- what dietary restrictions do you have?

- how many different cooks do you have?

- how do you schedule meal shifts?

Thanks,
Adi