Re: how many people for common meal...
From: juniperjojo (juniperjojoaol.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:57:49 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon,

Adi gave a good summary of our meals program, and to answer your question (and
also highlight something Adi touched on), we do not require* participation in
our meals program, per se, in any way.  It "averages out," if I understand your
question.  (Sometimes we have 40 adults and 20 kids at dinner, sometimes 20
adults and 5 children, but we've never thrown a meal and had no one show up.)
It's entirely volunteer-run, but because the food is (almost) always good and
relatively inexpensive, most meals are well-attended.   Tuesday night Adi's mom
(with help from community members) cooked a delicious Indian meal that was
unusually well attended, but even "light" meals generally have over 20 people
in attendance.

There are no requirements for members to cook, clean, or eat in our meals
program.  Most of us do, either because we enjoy it, or because we recognize
the value to the community and feel it's important to participate (even if
somewhat grudgingly).

*Of course, the work hours required to support the meals program mean that
everyone's monthly work requirement is higher than it would otherwise be -- but
you can fulfill your monthly work requirement without ever setting foot in the
common house kitchen or dining room (e.g., by mowing and doing other
landscape/grounds maintenance in the summer, shoveling/plowing in the winter,
etc.).

I thought it might be helpful to provide a little additional background, as
well.  Although many of us moved in in August of 2003, our meals program didn't
start until 2004, over six months after many of us moved in, because the common
house was the last building to be completed.  There were many -- and I was one
-- who were highly skeptical of our ability to support a five-night-per-week
meals program.  However, Amy Nesbitt (and others) perservered, persuading the
skeptics by assuring us that we could always cut back on the number of meals if
it was too much work, and in retrospect I'm very glad they did.  If we had
started at three meals per week I don't think we would ever have gotten the
consensus or the energy to increase to five or even four meals per week.

In the interests of full disclosure, I rarely participate in common house meals
because I commute a long distance to work and usually can't get home in time
for the common meals (which start at 6:15) -- but I'm still glad they're there.

So based on our experience, I guess I would encourage Shelly's group to try to
stretch to pull off 1 more meal per week than they think they can.

We also have a pretty slick online meals sign-up system that, for the record, I
was vehemently opposed to, but which I have grown very accustomed to using.
The online system replaced a handwritten notebook, and I liked having to go
into the CH to sign up for meals because it forced me to go to the CH more
often.  However, this way I can sign up for dinner (or check to see if I'm
signed up for dinner, or find out what's for dinner next Tuesday, or un-sign up
for dinner) while I'm at work!

Jenny Cook
Great Oak Cohousing
Ann Arbor, Michigan