Re: Carrying on the movement
From: Regan Conley (reganconleyearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:07:16 -0700 (PDT)
Jessie, after having grown up UU and worked with UU youth for a long time, I can tell you a parallel experience.

UUs are not like a lot of religions where they tell you you better keep coming or else. You make your own decisions and set your own priorities. While some college age and young adult folks are around, generally, they're too busy studying or sleeping off hangovers or having brunch on Sunday mornings to come to church. So they drift and later, when they get married and have children of their own, they often find themselves coming back to seek the community.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we saw a similar pattern with Cohousing raised youth. Many will drift and many will decide to come back to cohousing when they are ready to settle into their own homes.

Like UUs, this leaves a smaller group who would stick around if it were more accessible to them. Lots of urban and college-town UU churches have had great success with Sunday evening or mid-week evening services bringing in younger folks who don't fit into the Sunday morning schedule.

In a similar way, people of this age don't fit into the typical cohousing plan: Buy a house. Most of the them are not ready financially or otherwise to buy a house. They may move from one place to another as the go from college to grad school to jobs to travel to different jobs. If cohousing seriously wants to appeal to a younger market (generally those in their 20s, say), then it needs to be accessible to them. This probably means rental housing.

So, in my mind the question would be: How do we expand rental opportunities in Cohousing?

Regan Conley
Urban D.C. Cohousing
Washington D.C.