Re: letters of support
From: Dave and Diane (daveanddeeverizon.net)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:20:36 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Kim, and all the folks in coho-land,
It's funny you should ask that! I just finished reading the section of Diana Leaf Christian's book where she talked about something very similar to that happening. It's on page 123 of her book, "Creating a Life Together," which, by the way, I highly recommend for all community-minded folks out there. She told the story of Greyrock Commons Cohousing, which was initially opposed by neighbor after neighbor at a public hearing. The city council scheduled a second meeting several months later to give the Greyrock Commons people a chance to meet with the neighbors and try to work something out. So they did. They sent representatives out door to door to meet with their neighbors and listen to their concerns. By the time of the second public hearing, they had won over most of their neighbors and they got the variance they needed. But the story doesn't end there. A year later a big developer came on the scene with plans for a ten-acre housing subdivision near a riverfront park. The neighbors near the park wanted to put the kibosh on that plan, so they sent a bunch of people to City Hall to tell them if a development was going to come into their neighborhood and block their access to the park and the river they'd rather it be that new kind of development "like they have over at Greyrock Commons." And that's what happened! A new core group was spawned called "River Rock Commons" and they built a cohousing community there instead of what had been initially planned. Anyone from Greyrock Commons care to enlighten us as to what you did to win over the neighbors?
--Diane Simpson
  JP Cohousing, Boston
P.S. We went around to the local businesses for support. Most businesses are only too happy to see more customers moving in nearby! = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =