Re: how many people for common meal...
From: R.P. Aditya (adityagrot.org)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 04:07:47PM +0000, R.P. Aditya wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 05:13:23PM -0300, Ann Zabaldo wrote:
> > Jenny -- any chance we can check out your on-line sign up system for
> > meals?

Here is a screen shot:

  http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=217717294&size=o

it shows all the meals that the logged-in person's household can signup for
and those already signed up for are highlighted in yellow. In the "closed"
column it shows (signups/places) so that you can tell if the meal is getting
really full and the closing date/time if the cook has set one. If that column
is red, you won't be able to signup for the meal as it is closed, either
because it is full or the closing time has passed. The cook of a meal will
also find a "Close" button in the closed column so that they can manually
close the meal.

If you put the mouse over the Date column, a popup with the menu the cook has
entered shows up, as the screen shot shows for the Aug 22 meal by Willie.
Clicking on the "Meal" column pops-up a window of all the signups in a form
suitable for the cook to print and bring to the meal, with additional blanks
for late signups and a reimbursement form for attaching receipts.

At the bottom of the page, not shown on the screenshot, is an option to signup
for email reminders of meals you are eating at, an option to get an iCal feed
for the meals you are cooking or cleaning at. Additionally, by default, meal
workers get an email reminder a day in advance. The head cook also gets a
daily reminder starting a week before their meal to add a menu if they haven't
already added one, until they do :-)

All the signup info goes directly into the billing system once the meal is
marked "complete" by a meals biller (who verifies that they have received the
receipts etc.). And the statements are emailed automatically monthly...

So although the code for this is unlikely to be useful to anyone, I'm happy to
answer questions about it and how it all works...

Luckily, I think meal programs are different enough to match their
communities, that I don't think the choice/design of program will influence
how new communities choose to structure theirs (I hope).

hope that helps,
Adi