Re: Affordable cohousing / living simply
From: John Imbur (john_imburhotmail.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:04:36 -0700 (PDT)
Who can tell me abt. affordable cohousing in a nonpolluted area for
those who wish to live simply?

At Shadowlake Village we have the unusual opportunity of having several units all come open at the same time... two of them are what I would consider affordable (around $210k)... both three bedroom and two bath with the option of having a separate mother-in-law suite rented out with private entrance/access. This would allow someone who needed less space then create rental opportunities for others... providing affordability to both a homeowner and a renter. There is also a possibility of a three bedroom two bath single family for $168k (with a separate two bedroom apartment below owned by someone else).

Blacksburg (like Lawrence) is a college town (www.vt.edu) in a rural area, and we have any number of outdoor pursuits. We are an easy bike ride into town (5 minutes to campus) and have many of the other typical amentities that you'll find in co-housing in a more rural setting... wonderful views, land, gardens, hiking trails, access to 1000s of acres of national forest and a 150 acre town park next to us. Our community is all built out with a total of 33 households and a wonderful mix of residents.

Feel free to contact me at john_imbur [at] hotmail [dot] com if you want any further information or visit our website at www.shadowlakevillage.org... good luck as you search for the community you will eventually call home.

John Imbur