Re: Two Northern CA homes for Sale -plus one in Berkeley
From: Judy Lightstone (judylmftcomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 13:47:18 -0700 (PDT)
For those interested in a cohousing-like community in Berkeley, where it's
hard to find pure cohousing, you might want to check out this townhome for
sale on Halcyon Commons on Sunday (Sept 10th) from 2-4PM, after the weeding
party and Kid's play date that morning:
http://www.psychotherapist.org/BerkeleyHome.htm
The community is about to celebrate it's 10th anniversary on October 1st
from 1-4PM.  Here's the latest newsletter to give you an idea of how the
community works (last names have been removed):

Halcyon Neighborhood Association E-Newsletter*
* * * * * * * * * * * *
In This Newsletter
1. Work Party in Halcyon Commons Park, Sunday, Sept. 10, 10 a.m. - 12:30
p.m.
2. Kids' Play Date, Sunday, Sept. 10, 10 a.m.- Noon at Halcyon Commons (and
Note re Babysitting Club)
3. Neighbor Organizing Ticket Block for A's Baseball and Fireworks on
Friday, Sept. 22 at 7:05 p.m.
4. Nighttime Neighborhood-Safety "Dog" Walks: Upcoming Schedule
5. Tenth Anniversary Celebration Planning Committee Meeting, Thursday, Sept.
7, 7:30-8:30 p.m.

The weeding work party happening this coming Sunday morning is a chance for
you to "give back" if you appreciate what we've been doing to improve our
neighborhood. It's also another great way to meet your neighbors in a
relaxed setting. Please come out and pitch in: "Many hands makes light
work." Your help, even for half an hour, is very heartening to those of us
who organize these efforts. (Also note the Kids' Play Date being organized
in the park for the same time frame, making it easy to help out even if you
have active children.) Hope to see you Sunday!

-Nancy, HNA Co-Chair and E-Newsletter Editor

* * * * * * * * * * * *
1. Weeding Work Party in Halcyon Commons Park, Sunday, Sept. 10, 10 a.m. -
12:30 p.m.

Please join us for late summer weeding in Halcyon Commons Park (Halcyon
Court at Prince Street) this Sunday. If we have enough helpers, we'll also
do trash pickup in the surrounding neighborhood and weed the landscaped
barrier at Prince and Deakin.

Light refreshments will be served.

Please bring weeding and pruning tools if you have them (some extra tools
will be available for those who don't have them).

Children welcome (and note the Kids' Play Date listed in Item 2).

* * * * * * * * * * * *
2. Kids' Play Date, Sunday, Sept. 10, 10 a.m.- Noon at Halcyon Commons (and
Note re Babysitting Club)

We'll be having a kids' play date during the next gardening event Sunday,
Sept. 10th, from 10 a.m. to noon in Halcyon Commons Park (Halcyon at
Prince).  So far I know of over 20 kids aged 1-11 in our neighborhood, and I
bet there are more!  Come meet other kids and families for impromptu play
dates that don't require getting in a car!  Bring Frisbees, balls, art
supplies, or whatever sounds fun for your kids.  Families with older kids
who are potential babysitters are encouraged, too. We'll also be gathering
ideas for kids' activities at the upcoming Halcyon Commons Tenth Anniversary
Party.

For those of you who are interested, ask about a babysitting club.  The idea
is to get about 8 families together.  Each Saturday we'll have the parents
of 2 families watch all the kids while the parents of 6 families get to go
out on dates.  Bottom line,  in exchange for committing to babysit
once/month (hosting once every other month), you'll get free babysitting for
a date night 3 times/month.  We'd probably start about 4:30 p.m. and pick up
all the kids by 9:30 to get them to bed.  Our daughter is 7, so ideally
we're looking for kids near that age, but can be as flexible as other
families want to be on ages.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
3. Neighbor Organizing Ticket Block for A's Baseball and Fireworks on
Friday, Sept. 22 at 7:05 p.m.

Neighbor Dawn sends the following announcement:

Do you have any baseball and/or fireworks fans in your household?  After the
game, bring a blanket down to the field, lay on your back, and watch a
terrific fireworks show! I've reserved a block of 60 tickets to the game on
Friday, 9/22 starting at 7:05 p.m.  So far I have 10 "reservations" from
friends and neighbors; we need 25 confirmations to get the deal described
below.

Details include:
Friday, Sept. 22, 7:05 p.m.
Oakland Athletics vs. Angels
McAfee Coliseum, Oakland, CA
Section 104, rows 30-33
 $27/ticket cash or check (sorry, no kids discount)

Also: Is anybody interested in a tailgate party beforehand and/or going
together on BART?

* * * * * * * * * * * *
4. Nighttime Neighborhood-Safety "Dog" Walks: Upcoming Schedule

Dawn, HNA Neighborhood Watch Coordinator, who has been working with Pamela
Dameron on the Nighttime "Dog" Walks reports:

Pamela is doing a great job of organizing our "dog" walks several times each
week!  We really appreciate the support we are getting from the Berkeley
Police Department. The next few "scheduled" walks are:

* Sunday, Sept. 10, 9 p.m. (meet at Halcyon Commons Park, corner of
Prince/Halcyon)
* Friday, Sept 15, 10 p.m. (meet at Chochmat Halev, corner of Prince/Fulton)
* Thursday, Sept. 21, 9:30 p.m. (meet at Halcyon Commons Park, corner of
Prince/Halcyon)
* Saturday, Sept. 30, 9 p.m. (meet at Halcyon Commons Park, corner of
Prince/Halcyon)
* Friday, Oct. 6, 10 p.m. (meet at Chochmat Halev, corner of Prince/Fulton)
* Sunday, Oct. 15, 9 p.m.  (meet at Halcyon Commons Park, corner of
Prince/Halcyon)
* Friday, Oct. 20, 10 p.m. (meet at Chochmat Halev, corner of Prince/Fulton)
* Thursday, Oct. 26, 9:30 p.m. (meet at Halcyon Commons Park, corner of
Prince/Halcyon)
Come walk for exercise, chat to get to know your neighbors, and learn what
is going on in our neighborhood (no dog required)!

For these "dog" walks we walk around the neighborhood, talking (quietly),
getting to know one another, and building community.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
5. Tenth Anniversary Celebration Planning Committee Meeting, Thursday,
September 7, 7:30-8:30 p.m.

Join us to plan the 10th anniversary Party of Halcyon Commons (late
September/early October). By spending a couple of hours between now and the
event, you can help make this a truly memorable celebration!

Note re Date of Celebration: The Tenth Anniversary event is being
rescheduled from 9/24 to the following weekend (most likely Sunday, 10/1)
due to conflicts with the second day of Rosh Hashanah. Details to follow in
a future E-Newsletter.

HNA Blog:  If you would like to view previous newsletters online (and
comment via a blog format), please visit http://halcyoncourt.blogspot.com/

  • Two Northern CA homes for Sale Neil - (Coho/US), September 8 2006
    • Re: Two Northern CA homes for Sale -plus one in Berkeley Judy Lightstone, September 9 2006