Re: RESALE VALUE OF COHO UNITS
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:13:06 -0700 (PDT)
Linda,
I asked the same questions, though probably not so concisely and clearly as
you, some months ago and was disappointed by the diffuseness of the relatively
few responses.  It seems there is little or maybe no hard data.  My
observations on only the very small number of resales at Libetry Village is
that sales are significantly slower in coho than non-coho, and perhaps not
unreasonably so since only a very small  percentage of homeseekers are seeking
cohousing.  Maybe in "hot" cohousing areas this is different.  The relative
pricing is hard to determine because how and what does one compare? I sense
that realtors count bedrooms and bathrooms and precious little else, so where
does the value of the common land and the common house - and the very
significant but intangible "community" get factored in.  It doesn't.  If a
family is actively seeking cohousing they might be prepared to pay "more" since
there may be very few (or no) choices available.  By contrast the seller in
what is certainly a "niche" market, watching his silent phone, may be prepared
to take "less".
I know this is no help to you at all!
As far as a preparing a business plan is concerned my thought would be to try
to appear as "conventional" as possible, i.e. play down the cohousing and play
up the regular housing development model.  Even "greeness" may have limited (or
no) traction with lenders.  Banks and lenders generally are not interested in
innovation and experiment - they are much more concerned to see their assured
return on investment.   Project sales and value appreciation rather than any
warm fuzzies.
As far as creating sales, first time or resale, are concerned I have yet to
hear of any sales made through "regular" realtor channels.  All sales that I
have heard of are through word of mouth, and/or publicity through groups which
seem to embrace cohousing, i.e. "green" organizations, "family" groups,
Unitarian-Universalist churches and fellowships, and perhaps curiously, health
care providers.

Best wishes on your venture.

Currently there are two homes for sale here at Liberty Village at Libertytown
in Frederick County, Maryland. See  www.libertyvillage.com
to learn about the community.  Email info [at] LibertyVillage.com  or call
301-898-0345 to learn more about the homes.

Michael Barrett
www.libertyvillage.com
Maryland