Re: Getting New Members to Make a Commitment
From: Stuart Joseph (stuartcaercoburn.org)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
Fred,
You make a good point about folks being unwilling to commit if the project falls through. The policy for Caer Coburn is they get their money back from the owner of the property if the project fails (we are disbursing money to pay for the costs like permits, surveying, legal fees, etc.) or from the group if they pull out before they take possession of their property.

<skype:greatscotmagic?add>

Fred H Olson wrote:
Judy at Pacific Gardens Cohousing Nanaimo, BC Canada wrote:

Everyone seems to want to wait until we're actually building to sign on
so  we find ourselves in a Catch-22 situation. We can't get financing
until we have more owners and we can't seem to get more owners until
we're building.

A part of this dynamic seems to be people want to be assured that the
project will succeed before they are willing to commit.  That's
understandable.  In addition to having incentives, might it be possible to
offer people a contingent commitment.  Suppose you have 10 commited
members and need 17 to get financing which is your biggest remaining
hurdle. Could you persuade people to commit if 6 )or 7 or 8) other
households commit? That way they are only committed if enough other people
are committed to be assured of financing.

Fred

--
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Project Director