Re: off limits to kids?
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 13:47:50 -0700 (PDT)
Becky,

We also here at Eno Commons had to address this issue (but we waited until we
had the structures completed and also discovered the range of parenting styles.

Here are the understandings we have:
* Commons House: No unsupervised child are allowed inside.  Supervision can be
done by any sponsoring adult.  However, we also have a key teen policy.  If the
parents are ok with their child (12 yro+) unsupervised in the Commons House,
they just need to let the community know (either via email or at business
meeting.)
  * However, now that we allow unsupervised kids in the Commons House,
    we agreed not to have alcohol stored in the Commons House.
* The Barn (aka workshop): children (even teens) need to be under adult
supervision.

Most of the concerns was not due to the behaviors of the kids but the behaviors
of the adults when they were kids.

If you want an electronic copy of these policies, let me know.

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons Cohousing
 Durham, NC
 where the email etiquette policy (which was prompted by the key teen
 discussion) made it off finally off the parking lot yesterday
 after 22 months
 after 22 months