Re: Smoking in the Co-housing Complex
From: Peg Blum (pegbcambridgecohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 14:28:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi!

I have not been paying attention to Cohousing-L lately but just happened to
look at it and found this thread.

In August 2003, Cambridge Cohousing adopted its fifth regulation, our
smoking policy.  I have copied it below.

When we first moved in in 1998, we had no resident smokers.  Over the next 5
years, we had one or two tenants and visitors who were smokers and this led
to the adoption of the policy.  As far as I am aware, we have not had any
further problems or complaints.

*V. SMOKING*  (Adopted August 2003)

  1. *Policies*.  The purpose of this regulation is as follows:

·       To eliminate the adverse effects of environmental tobacco smoke on
the safety, health, well-being and comfort of residents, tenants, and guests
of Cambridge Cohousing.

  1. *Rules*.

  1. Smoking is not permitted in common interior space.

  1. Smoking is permitted in individual units and all exterior spaces,
     provided that the smoke does not irritate other residents.  Smokers
     are expected to be particularly aware of the following outdoor
areas where
     problems are likely to occur:  entrances to buildings;
     balconies; open windows; and children's play areas.

  1. If a resident, tenant or guest is irritated by smoke that enters
     their unit or any common interior or exterior space, it will be the
     responsibility of the owner of the unit where the smoker resides
or visits
     to address the cause.

  1. People who are adversely affected by smoke, indoors or outdoors,
     are encouraged to express their concerns to the smoker and the
unit owner.
     The parties will attempt to come to some agreement on both
     immediate and long-term action to prevent smoke from entering
the affected
     common or private spaces.  The CLC (Community Life Committee) or
     another appropriate committee will be available for assistance.

  1. If the parties are unable to agree, the matter will be brought to
     the Managing Board which may direct the owner of the unit where
the smoker
     resides or visits to undertake appropriate actions.

  1. Cambridge Cohousing members are responsible for informing their
     visitors of the community's smoking policy.

#
Peg Blum

pegb [at] cambridgecohousing.org

http://www.cambridgecohousing.org