Issue of Liability for Treehouse on Common Property
From: Carol R. (carolrslvyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:59:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hi!
  I am from Shadowlake Village in Blacksburg, VA, and we are
  starting conversations around building a treehouse for the kids
  on common property in our woods. We have about 18 acres of
  woods and we are thinking of putting a treehouse in those woods.

  After a conversation last evening, we raised the issue of liabililty
  and what if one of our kids got hurt and also what if other kids from
  outside of the community are using the treehouse and get hurt.

  Have any other communities had conversations around playground
  equipment and liability for the whole community? What did your
  conversations include? We also thought we could let our parents
  and grandparents sign a "waiver" in general, and I wasn't sure if
  others out there had talked about this as well.

  Any thoughts on kids getting hurt on common property and how
  that interacts with community liability?

  Carol R.
  Shadowlake Village Cohousing, Blacksburg, VA "where we had 28 degree
  weather last evening, our first frost, and I am still mourning the loss of my
  75 degree warm, summer days!!!"