Re: Making 'Clean Energy' Pay
From: Andrew Netherton (andrewnethertongmail.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:15:30 -0700 (PDT)
Net metering isn't the point of the program in question - the point is
to enable small producers to sell their energy back to the grid.
Depending on how one is generating the electrical power, you are
guaranteed a certain price per kWh, up to a maximum generating
capacity of 10MW.  (That should be more than sufficient for any
cohousing group to be able to sell any and all energy you can make.)
Net metering is part of it, but the big thrill is the fact that there
is now an enticement to produce and sell such power, whereas
previously trying to sell back to the grid was either mired in red
tape, or done on-the-sly.

See the Ontario Ministry of Energy announcement on the subject:

http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=english.news&body=yes&news_id=124

An exerpt:

"Under the plan, the Ontario Power Authority will purchase electricity
produced by wind, biomass or small hydroelectric at a base price of 11
cents per kilowatt-hour. The fixed price for solar will be 42 cents
per kilowatt-hour."

Instead of trying to make solar power practical at our currently
rock-bottom rate of less than $0.06/kWh, you get a guaranteed buyer at
$0.42/kWh.  MUCH more attractive.

Regards,
Andrew Netherton
Laurel Creek Commons (forming)
Waterloo, ON, Canada

On 10/13/06, Brian Bartholomew <bb [at] stat.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Homeowners and businesses in this Canadian province will be
> compensated by their local utility companies for any electricity
> they generate from small solar, wind or water projects.  [...]
> Similar plans have already been implemented in Europe, and will
> hopefully be introduced to the US population in the near future.

That's called "net metering", and it's been in the US for awhile.

Overview:

        http://www.homepower.com/resources/net_metering_faq.cfm

Table of details, state-by-state:

        http://www.homepower.com/files/netmeter.pdf