Relative wealth
From: seniorcohousing (seniorcohousingcox.net)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 08:46:03 -0700 (PDT)
In some of the earlier literature about cohousing, much was said about equality
of units--that is, while yours might have three bedrooms for your passel of
kids and mine is just a studio, the finish would be almost identical.

I understand why this makes sense from a contractor's costs point of view--this
isn't what my question is about.

I'm wondering how important the SOCIAL ramifications of this is to a community.
 As someone PLANNING a community, I'm wondering if it would make so much
difference now that some of us are a little older and one hopes wiser.

I don't resent the fabulous water-view house of my stinking rich friend: but I
sure do like sitting on her veranda.  Nor do I snear at another friend's rental
furnished with Salvation Army rejects.

Can all three of us live in cohousing together, the wealthier choosing (or
maybe not) to have a plusher finish to her unit, while our mutual friend might
need some help with her downpayment and so will put up with the most basic
finish?  or will the differences in wealth in such a tight community cause
friction?

I don't want to live in a middle class ghetto.  I'd really prefer the mixture
of richer and poorer.  But if the only way to do this is for the richer to live
poorer, it's going to be a tough sell to some of our prospects.

Nina, Ocean State CoHousing