Re: pea gravel, paths
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
Pea gravel is rounded. Which makes it appropriately smooshy for fall zones around play equipment. We had it at Head Start: it worked for a fall zone and, while not as fun as sand, it didn't attract cat-box attention either, and kids were willing and able to shovel it into buckets and toy trucks. I don't recommend pea gravel for paths. Too round and smooshy. If you want plain gravel somewhere people will walk, choose what's called "crushed rock" which is angular, and therefore will pack together. Better yet, lay down weed barrier, then some crushed rock, then "quarry fines, quarter=inch-minus" or smaller. This is a rather fine sand-like material that can pack down to almost asphalt-like solidity, if done right. I may be wrong, but at least the paths I've seen done with the quarry fines packed into crushed rock seemed to me to be useable by those with mobility challenges. But I defer to those with direct experience of that.
Lynn Nadeau, Port Townsend Washington
RoseWind Cohousing (long built), and PT EcoVillage (in planning)