Re: So what does it cost?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:42:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 24, 2006, at 9:21 AM, S. Kashdan wrote:

I would add to the items mentioned by Tree and Sharon the importance of
building in sound-dampening/sound-deadening materials in the dining room,
especially for those who have hearing challenges

And one hearing challenge is children. Non-parents go bonkers at noise from children. They just aren't used to it. Parents and grandparents just tune it out -- listen over it. Others can't. And they don't understand why parents don't control their children.

Good acoustics will help generational and lifestyle strife significantly.

I recommend padded rooms. No joke. As many surfaces as you can cover. There are many kinds of stuff. If we could have afforded it, our people would have liked a kind of wall surface that looks just like nice clean walls. We liked the open airy white look but it just didn't work in use.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC