Re: Guest Etiquette Question
From: Stuart Joseph (stuartcaercoburn.org)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:03:33 -0700 (PDT)
Cher,
I know what you mean about trying to save money, so here are some more suggestions for Private Houses: Bring something to eat or for the house, like the bottle of Saki or some food to share. When we put up one of our members, they bring us something from NYC like bagels or pastries, they have also taken us out for a meal or paid for pizza.

When we take folks on tours, we don't expect anything for it, as that is how we will gain members.

Cher Stuewe-Portnoff wrote:
** sigh of relief ** Thank you, Liz. Our intention is always to participate
in whatever work we can, to be courteous and responsible, and to pay our
way; to make small donations to common house funds where it seems
appropriate; but also not to reduce personal kindnesses to commercial
transactions. I love Nina's approach, a win for everyone, but in truth, by
the time we have funded our travel to and from communities we hope may be a
good fit, we would be (and often are) camping out, conserving our meager
funds for an eventual down payment some place. We also love
bed-and-breakfast establishments -- but from afar :-). Other perspectives
welcome!

C.