Re: Community Cemetery
From: M. Kay Campbell (mkaycindra.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:51:00 -0800 (PST)
My family moved into co-housing just over a year ago. We bought the home from the original owner whose husband had died just a few years after they moved in. He did not die in the house, but some of his ashes are buried under the apple trees in my backyard (which is not common space).

The presence of his remains in our backyard did not in any way affect our decision to buy the house. In a way, it did deepen my sense of history in this home and a sort of responsibility to hold the history. In particular, I try to be as mindful as possible every time I work around the apple trees, mulching and weeding. With my knees and hands in the dirt, I try to keep in my mind the stories I've heard of this man who was highly thought of in the community and whose loss was deeply felt.

That said, it is a bit awkward from a practical angle when it comes to family being able to visit. I've told the previous owner that she and her daughter (now a teenager) are welcome in the backyard at any time, but my sense is that it is awkward for them, at least at this time. So I think a plot on community land that is quiet (as Sharon said) and removed from the busyness of daily pedway life would be a perfect location for such a sacred spot.

Interesting question--makes me wonder what the Colorado laws are around this topic....

Kay Campbell
Nyland Co-Housing (first move-in was Labor Day weekend 1992 and still going strong)
Lafayette, CO