Re: Community cemetery
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:29:53 -0800 (PST)
Lynn at RoseWind (Port Townsend Washington) here.
If it were me, and there was lots of land, I'd have a designated area - maybe call it the memorial field or grove or forest or such -- that way nobody would be accidentally exhuming bones (ashes of course can go anywhere). And it would meet some people's need to go to "where" a friend or relative's remains are buried. And - just like it turns out to function in towns - the no-dig aspect of a cemetery would assure open space in that place. Perhaps if there were some progression of where burials take place, in x years one could go back and bury more, as there would be no "in perpetuity" guarantee of sole occupancy. In our community, we don't have a cemetery. I have however hoped that we may still designate some grove or other little walking destination as a memorial area. It would not only meet a need people have, for memorializing and or spreading ashes, but it would offer a chance to donate a memorial bench/birdbath/shrub or such, for the benefit of the community, as well as honoring Grandma or Fido. Win win.
Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org