Re: Achieving age diversity
From: Catya Belfer-Shevett (catyahomeport.org)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:51:57 -0800 (PST)
> We are now recruiting new prospective residents for our 30-36 unit project in Rosendale, NY. We'd like to know how other communities have been able to achieve an equitable mix of ages - families and older people without children. We are doing outreach to schools. pediatricians, etc., yet still are finding it much easier to attract people over 55 years to our meetings. Have any of you designed quotas? If so, what kind? Do they work? All suggestions appreciated.

You got some good advice on this; I'll emphasize (again) making sure that you provide childcare at meetings and have them at a kid-friendly time (ours are 3:30-6:30) and place. Look at local homeschool groups and private schools and see if you can get in and do a presentation.

Network, network, network - do your members know people with kids that they can personally invite?

        - catya