Re: a private person in cohousing
From: Saoirse Charis-Graves (ccharismac.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:28:29 -0800 (PST)
It is interesting how different communities develop different strategies. Our process for identifying communication and socialization preferences has always evolved back to an informal one, regardless of what we've tried to put in place that would be considered more systematic. I guess we have developed a very strong ethic about recognizing and accepting individual differences on both counts. But the expectation here is that an individual ultimately holds responsibility for communicating what they need and/or want. Attempts to develop anything more systematic and community-wide has ultimately either never reached consensus or been dropped by mutual neglect. I don't recommend that as an effective strategy. I am basically amazed that other communities actually have done something more structured! After all this time, I thought what happened here was "typical" ; ) ... I should have known better!

Anyway, the range of actual practice intrigues me.

Saoirse

Harmony Village Cohousing
http://www.harmonyvillage.org