HOW TO ACHIEVE AGE DIVERSITY
From: Linda (treehousenetstep.net)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 06:07:59 -0800 (PST)
We are a group of nine households ­ the majority over 50 ­ developing a
cohousing community in New York State. We own our land so the financial
clock is ticking re: mortgage payments and the need to line up buyers. There
are a number of interested ³Prospective Residents², many over 50, and few
young families with children, who are participating in our Orientation
Process and wanting to be assured they¹ll be able to ³get in². We very much
want diversity in age. With the prohibition of setting any age quotas, and
the majority of our interested buyers older, how can we best achieve a mixed
community?

We¹ve heard that young families come later in the development process, cuz
they don¹t have time for lots of meetings and early involvement. But if most
of the houses are spoken for by older people, how will we have room for the
young latecomers?

Thanks,

Linda Gluck
Ulster County Cohousing in Rosendale, NY