Re: Achieving age diversity
From: Michael Whitman (Michael.Whitmanvalley.net)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:22:59 -0800 (PST)
--- Fred Olsen wrote:
...Fardknappen (in Sweden) was developed by people ... "in the second half of
life" so it only allows people over 40 who do not have dependants... They DO
have an age diversity -- 40 to 90 as I recall.
--> Right, Fred: isn't the real discussion of "age diversity" whether of not to
have families with children in the community?

My bet is that communities for seniors -- no minors in residence -- will
increase in demand as more and more people want to age in community instead of
aging in the isolation of a single-family dwelling, the way so many of our
parents have. These communities will run the gamut from "classic cohousing" to
developer-driven communities which may have aspects of cohousing such as a
common house and may adopt meals and active self-governance, to senior coops or
condos for seniors.

I agree that the natural "tendency for children's needs in cohousing to trump
elder's needs" exists, as any experienced parent will confirm, and can say with
clarity that I as semi-senior really do enjoy the quieter atmosphere that the
departure of resident offspring has brought.

So doesn't "mit kinder" or "sans enfants" become the significant factor in this
discussion, rather than the ambiguous term "age diversity"?

   Michael Whitman (NH) -- exploring but not yet in a community