Re: Senior's needs? (was Achieving age diversity)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:01:39 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 11, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Andrew Netherton wrote:

So what do seniors need?

Quiet.

The space that communities can afford does not allow for special kids spaces AND completely separate kid free spaces. More and more space seems always to be needed by the kids, particularly in urban apartment style communities where you can't let kids roam outside alone.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in a kid-free community but often parents are not willing to resolve the conflicts that result from adults (not all seniors) wanting some spaces to be peanut butter and jelly fingers free or out of bounds of soccer balls. Having to ask children to leave doesn't feel like a good option. Constantly picking up after children gets old when one has already picked up after one's own for years and years.

Child-friendly too often drifts to child-centered and child-centered has become a common parenting style.

On the other hand, children provide wonderful entertainment and serve as wheel-greasers between households. I'm not sure how this happens in a senior community.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC