Re: cohousing and career change
From: Christine Johnson (manzjohnsonnetzero.net)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:07:25 -0800 (PST)
Andrew Netherton of Laurel Creek Commons (forming) wrote: " My question is whether having been involved in a cohousing development has afforded you skills, abilities, or even accreditation(s) that you have been able to effectively use as the
basis for a new career, or a new career path? "

YES!  and it seemed to happen through no effort of my own ;-).

In our first year of development, I got involved in the local chapter of the National Community Associations Institute (CAI) since they offered us a wealth of information on organizing and managing planned communities (Homeowners Associations, Condominium Owners Association, Cooperatives). The more I "took" from CAI, the more I had to "give."

While cohousing is different in some ways from a conventional HOA, COA or Co-op, there are far more similarities than differences, IMO. I work as an Association Manager now and thoroughly enjoy my days, even the difficult days. I learn something new every day -- at work and at home. A stellar arrangement.

The Association Management industry as a whole is in dire need of more Certified Association Managers. In fact, there is an effort now to recruit folks who are taking early retirement from public service positions since maturity helps a lot -- somebody who's acquired the patience for detail and appreciates policy/governance, often gets there just through aging in place!

Christine Johnson
Stone Curves Cohousing
Tucson, AZ