Re: dining hall layout (was Childrens behavior at community dinner)
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:26:52 -0800 (PST)
Curtains, half walls, partial walls can not solve an acoustic problem. Even floor to ceiling folding walls can not solve the problem unless they are the very expensive acoustic walls. Design and planning can help, I believe, but solutions with large (even small) open spaces between separations allow noise to pass easily. Soft materials deaden sound somewhat, physical separation works well. Does anyone have a plan layout that works well for kid noise problems.
James

Andrew Netherton wrote:
I'll admit, as a parent I have simply developed a tolerance for the
din.  That's not to say that I like it!

Of the few common house pictures and plans that I've seen (never
having seen a live common house at all yet), all the dining areas seem
to be one big room with tables and chairs in it.  Forgive me for yet
again taking a design-oriented approach to this issue ("If all you
have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail."  I'm an
engineer - mea culpa.), but does this accurately reflect how community
dinners happen on a social level?

On first blush, I'd be tempted to take a dining hall, and instead of
making it a cafeteria-style open-concept eating room, turn it into
more of a restaurant layout, where there are many tables of various
sizes, each visually accessible to the others yet physically removed
somewhat, either with curtains, half-walls, or something like that.
These partitions could serve as sound barriers.  They don't have to be
permanent; a folding wall or a partition on wheels would work too, and
preserve the all-purpose ability of the space in question.

Is that going too far?  Can surface treatments be enough to promote
lower noise levels?  When it comes to kids I realize parenting needs
to be part of the solution, but judicious use of materials and layout
could certainly help, no?

Regards,
Andrew Netherton
Laurel Creek Commons (forming)