Quite meals and children
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:25:23 -0800 (PST)
Thanks, Danny.  I had similar thoughts/feelings reading Deborah's
description below.
It seems to me that it's almost unavoidable that in cohousing communities needs around meals will vary, and that it's a good idea to consider allowing different types of meals to happen, so that most people have a chance to find
their niche.

I found out in my community (Sonora Cohousing, Tucson) that efforts to
organize alternatives to the "Common Meals" have caused a certain level of friction and resentment: Anything that's not open to all has been seen by at least by some people in the community as exclusive or elitist. Yet, the common meals are exclusive (in effect, if not in intent), since by choosing to have them
a certain way they leave out those for whom the format doesn't work.
Examples: Our common meals are not organic, something which is important
for me; They are mostly quite large, and I feel much more at ease in smaller groups (part of it is noise, but part of it is how people connect when there are
fewer).  I'm sure other people can conjure up other examples.

Racheli.

Deborah Mensch wrote:

What distinguished the community in our conversation was the homogeneity of values related to child-rearing in that community. (Several families
there have kids who attend a local Waldorf school, which implies a
likely constellation of shared values.) When a community forms around
the kinds of values the Petaluma community has, and which Lia describes, a lot of positive community influence on the children is possible in the
areas covered by the shared values.

Hi,

It's probably useful to remember that Waldorf practices are highly
coercive and indeed uniform. When Steiner invented the 'method' in 1919 he
was on a roll, engineering his own ideals of what childhood development
should be. It is probably beyond the scope of this listserve (cohousing
being the topic) but is important that folks don't get the wrong
impression that a quiet, civil meal for adults is a reasonable or healthy
situation for children.

Do reexamine your values on this one.

Danny
Baltimore CoHousing