Re: Children's behavior at community dinner
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:42:38 -0800 (PST)
I may not be the best one to ask because I'm the father of 3 children between 6 and 11, but I think our kids' behavior at common meals is pretty good. That is, I don't think that they are so rowdy or noisy as to bother other diners, at least most of the time. I would attribute it to 3 factors:

1) Very good acoustical design in our dining room (Tectum on ceiling and some walls; cork floor). 2) Well defined and enforced dining room behavior standards. (Kids go through buffet line with their parents, instead of butting in at the head of the line. Dining Room is for eating and conversation. Running, playing, loud voices, etc are to be taken elsewhere.) 3) We've got good spaces for the kids to go to when they finish eating where they can run, play, shout, etc. (During the summer, it's outside. During the winter, it's downstairs in the rec room.)

I think the key to excluding rowdy behavior from the dining room is to give the kids an option of where to take that behavior so they don't have to stop it, they just have to move it.

BTW, I would guess that on average we have about 20 adults and 15 kids at our common meals.

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature: reason honesty, and love. The only demons we must fear are those that lurk inside every human mind: ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith, which is surely the devil's masterpiece."
          - Sam Harris