The effect of strong shared values in cohousing
From: Deborah Mensch (deborahmenschgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:50:51 -0800 (PST)
Hi folks,

Maybe the point I was trying to make, below, didn't come through as clearly
as I intended. I pointed out the differences between my own community and
the one in Petaluma not with wistful longing for quiet dinners with kids,
but as an example of what can happen when a community coalesces early (I
would guess during the early stages of group formation, though I don't know
if that was actually the case in Petaluma) around shared values. When that
happens, and entering members can see it and self-select based on whether
those values work for them, it looks to me like you end up with a community
that can accomplish some kinds of things that a community without those
shared values will have a MUCH harder time doing -- in this case, having
quiet dinners with happy children included.

As I think I said in my earlier post, I moved into my community on a resale
and was not part of the community formation. But I've been thinking a lot
about how communities form, and my working hypothesis is that clarifying
shared values and goals in some detail, when the group is still small, may
produce a community which will have an easier time with some aspects of
community living -- whichever aspects the shared values cover. The example I
gave was one where the shared values centered on child-rearing.

Are there others living in cohousing now, who were part of the group
formation process, and who can shed light on this hypothesis? How, in your
perception, did the stage at which your community worked on shared values
and goals affect your current ability to live in harmony?

If you agreed on and wrote down shared values and goals early, how did it
seem to affect your ability to attract new members? Do you think it slowed
you down because people selected themselves out, or perhaps speeded up group
formation because people who shared your values could see themselves so
vividly in your written statements of values and goals?

In the conversation,
Deborah Mensch