Re: Raleigh-Durham (NC) News&Observer: Real Estate story on coho
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:56:44 -0800 (PST)
It's there!

Raleigh-Durham (NC) News&Observer
Rea Estate
p. 1G, 4G

Of course, there are different pictures between the online and printed versions.

-Robert Heinich
Eno Commons
Durham, NC
where I was working on the Eno Commons website (internal neighbors items) during our Community Dayz as Raines' email entered my inbox.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Raines Cohen" <rc3-coho-L [at] raines.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 11:25 AM
Subject: [C-L]_ Raleigh-Durham (NC) News&Observer: Real Estate story on coho

This just hit the streets today, can anyone on this list in that area
pick up a paper copy to see if there's a sidebar with the
cohousing.org URL?
(sometimes newspaper websites don't include the links on stories like
this)

Raines
---
http://www.triangle.com/108/story/17571.html

Sharing a magic place
DENISE SHERMAN , Correspondent

It opens:
You suspect there's something distinctive about the suburban
neighborhood when you spot Emily Weinstein out on a sunny morning,
painting the woods in oil on a piece of recycled lumber.
Weinstein, an artist and writer, lives in a cohousing community. She
has chronicled a community effort that many of her Solterra neighbors
were involved in to save 43 acres of former Duke Forest land from
development in her new book "Saving Magic Places." The property
adjoins the Solterra neighborhood.

---

The piece is about 25 paragraphs long. It looks like it's the lead
article, but it's hard to tell on the website. It gets the name of
the cohousing association a little jumbled, but one of Dave Wann's
books is cited, along with cohousing professional Giles Blunden and
Zev and Neshama and Joani, plus several people who founded and live
in communities in the paper's circulation area.

---
Here's some excerpts (click the link above to read the whole thing,
and use the "Email to a friend" link to get it rated higher):

People who live in cohousing are also passionate about being good
neighbors. You might find them out shoveling a neighbor's driveway
like Solterra's George and Judith Krassner did when they came back
from a Florida vacation one winter. Or at an ice-cream party for the
neighborhood children like Judith Krassner held in her home recently.
Or out picking kale from an organic community garden like retired
Tulane University librarian Phil Leinbach. Or at the poetry readings
in the common house retired clinical social worker and poet Bennett
Myers organized for his neighbors. Or eating meals together in the
common house which most neighbors share three or four times a week.

[...]

"We liken it to having extended family, both the blessings and the
challenges," said Becky Laskoedy, a scientist at GlaxoSmithKline who
calls the blessings of living in Carrboro's Arcadia the social
support for her raising children and the closeness she feels to her
neighbors. "You often have chrotchety old aunt or uncle who's hard to
get along with. Occasionally, we have that."
Why that matters a little more in cohousing than in your standard
suburban real estate is that cohousing rules are made by consensus at
community meetings of the homeowners association. Everyone has to
agree, much like in a Quaker meeting. Laskoedy admits this can bring
challenges. Sometimes you have to learn not to be judgmental when the
neighbors down the way are concerned about the traffic that the
farmers will bring in instead of the vegetables and won't sign on to
a Community Supported Agriculture agreement for local farmers to
deliver their goods to the neighborhood, she said.

[...]

Green architect Giles Blunden, who designed site plans and houses in
Solterra and Arcadia and is in the process of designing all of
Pacifica, said there is plenty of demand for cohousing in the
Triangle, yet it doesn't fit into the traditional market structures
very easily.

"Pacifica has been sold since we started it," said Blunden, who
includes residents' ideas into the design of the communities. "There
is a longer process because of this than in a standard subdivision.
It doesn't fit the traditional pattern very well. Most developers
don't like to mess with people when they are building. We want people
involved in the design."

"It's like a small old-fashioned neighborhood where I grew up as a
kid," said Krassner, who lived as a child in a suburb of New York.
"Everybody knows their neighbor. The youngest resident is five years
old and the oldest is over 80. It's diverse ethnically and
professionally."