question about seniority of "in between" participants
From: Jonnie Pekelny (jonniepsbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:58:47 -0800 (PST)
Hi, folks. Okay: another research question from the North Oakland  Cohousing
membership team. We will need to come up with a system of  seniority, for
purposes of unit selection, and I've been thinking about  it in the background
for the past few weeks. Our group is still new  and, for the moment, it's easy
enough to simply create a system of  seniority based on who joined and paid
money first. It's also simple to  make a rule that, if a member or associate
simply stops being involved  and drops out, they lose all seniority.  But I
anticipate that, as  we go on, we will have ambiguous cases that will need
dealing with. For  example:

  * A member or associate has to take a sabbatical, but maintains their
financial commitments and stays in touch with the group, expressing  strong
interested in becoming active again when they come back..  Where does the
member or associate wind up in the seniority structure,  when they come back,
with respect to new members who've joined since,  and old members who've stayed
actively involved the whole time?

  * A member temporarily defaults on their payments because of financial
hardship, but then regains their footing and gets back on track. How is  their
seniority affected?

  * A member defaults on their payments and can't get back on their  footing
yet, but is hoping to be able to in the future, so maintains  their involvement
as an associate. Where does this put them in the  associate seniority hierarchy?

  And so on.

  I would be interested in hearing from (pre-move-in) groups about how you
handle similar seniority issues.

  Jonnie Pekelny
  North Oakland Cohousing
  Oakland, CA