Re: common meals
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 07:12:43 -0800 (PST)
Liz,

Before cohousing, in the early '80s, I was involved with a group of 30something single urban professionals in Seattle trying to do a project we called "Shared Housing By Design". (A rather clumsy name for cohousing, don't you think?) Our goals included private suites for each member, common living/dining/and kitchen areas, as well as guest suites, etc. Our goals also included one full time paid chef/ common areas manager, and one full time assistant/maintenance person/ helper. Among other things, the Chef was to provide at least 5 evening meals each week, Sunday through Thursday.

We did budgets, and crunched all the numbers, and it made sense financially. (One of our members was an accountant.) The big financial savings for us was the reduction in eating out at restaurants.

I am curious now and will see if I happen to still have any of those records, or budgets. That was a long time ago, when Excel was still called Multiplan, Word was only available on the Mac, and Microsoft had fewer than 2000 employees.

Chris ScottHanson