Counting blessings
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 04:54:05 -0800 (PST)
Hi -

Fred's post made me think about how my activity within my cohousing
community waxes and wanes, and on from there into how thoroughly my cohousing
community(ies) mixes into my life.

There are meals, of course.  My job involves work on long term  disaster
recovery projects, so it has been a wonderful blessing the year  (and then
some)
to have a couple of nights a week where I know my kids will get  fed and get
some adult attention even if I have to work late.  Plus, I  recently realized
that my high school aged kid has extended the cohousing meal  thing into her
school, where she and her friends now have a Thursday lunch  potluck.

There are moments that could be scary for the kids and us, and really  aren't
because of our neighbors.  Like my latch key son forgetting his keys  one
day.  Or another day when he never turned up after school and one  neighbor
went
out searching for him with my daughter, and it turned out that  another had
picked him up already and was returning him home.

There are starting to be moments in meetings where everything balances as  it
should and people feel safe enough to say and hear the truth.  Just  moments,
but what great promise of things to come!

There are the Village Knit-Wits whose new knitting circle is all the  rage.
In the last business meeting, there was a whole row of knitters  placidly
listening and waiting their turn to speak. Which was a good thing in  that
meeting. . .

There is the blessing of almost always having someone to talk to or
something, small or great, to do, just by stepping outside the door. And all
the
messages on the answering machine and knocks on the door asking to borrow
this,
return that, get a favor, give a favor, or just chew some issue over.

There is the blessing of possibilities, of never getting to everything or
getting everything just right, but always getting enough joy.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where the winter holidays are upon us. There's a Christmas tree in the
common house, lights and menorahs in many windows and the courtyard. Cheerful
small children everywhere."