Food thread?
From: Ruth Hirsch (heidinysearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 05:13:04 -0800 (PST)
Hi and happy [almost] New Year all,

I am surprised how seldom we actually talk about food on this list. Commonhouse, yes, Kitchens, yes. Dishwashers, yes. Noise while eating...
So, I know it's come up, still, I'd love to know now,
what are favorite menus for community meals?
favorite recipes?
simplest crowd pleasers?
economical simple favorites?

We had a wonderful meal the evening of the 24th, prepared by 2 neighbors: a velvety salmon brushed with a teriaki glaze, surrounded by piped mashed poatoes, winter squash stuffed with a breadcrumb mix. Dessert that was a recipe from our neighbor's mom: whipped cream with cut up canned peaches and mandarin oranges mounded on lady- fingers. Other salmon suggestions?

Lasagna and salad are a win-win, especially since our other neighbor doesn't pre-boil the noodles. That with a salad, a good, doable meal.

Another recent meal was turkey chili, salad and cornbread.

I periodically do a turkey, and have discovered that besides brining/ getting kosher really is delicious, butterfly-ing the bird helps it cook evenly and much more quickly, freeing up precious oven space for veggies.

We often also do mac and cheese for the kids. ALso, have one neighbor who is a vegetarian [not vegan] and one who doesn't like chicken, turkey or fish. We have one person who prefers not to have garlic, and we happily put aside a batch of whatever for him, sans garlic. I know these don't eat questions have come up on list. Would like to see more of what you do eat!

Even if you do similar meals, would love to get more info:favorite coho recipes, tips, etc.

best to all,
Ruth