Re: Insurance
From: dahako (
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:31:24 -0800 (PST)
    Hi -
 One thing you can do to make sure you get coverage and keep your insurance 
reasonable is to get the insurance agent or company representative to walk 
through your property with you to observe risk conditions and make suggestions 
for mitigation. Insurance companies want to work with safe properties, and most 
cohousing buildings are a good bet -- you just might need to make your case. 
 Things they might suggest include fire extinguishers, anti-slip flooring in 
guest room showers, no sharp edges in kids rooms, a commitment to keep 
flammable stuff stored safely, extra lighting at certain locations, changes in 
plantings to limit fire or theft risk, and fencing between areas children play 
and cars park. Usually very common sense stuff. If you talk to them during 
design, they sometimes can suggest other stuff that will help a property be 
more resistant to local risks, like flooding, high winds, or ice (change 
rooflines over doorways). Architects know this stuff, but sometimes prefer a 
slightly riskier design because it looks better.
 Eastern Village Cohousing
 Silver Spring, Maryland
 Where one of the residents just removed the kitchen island in her apartment 
and donated it to the common house dining room. Now we can finally have enough 
serving space! 

Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and security 
tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free 
AOL Mail and more.

Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.