Filtering New Members [Was: Group Forming need advice]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 06:57:40 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 26, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Catya Belfer-Shevett wrote:

I think that if you do individual title your best bet is a condo
association with some pretty strict condo rules that new people have to
sign on to.  It's still self-selection, but you can heavily influence
who will self-select.

Tree Bresson has posted requirements that in effect serve as filters -- required participation in a meal program, required work commitment, and I forget the others. These two will be likely to filter out people who are not serious about being an active part of the community.

The EcoVillage at Loudoun County in VA, which is governed sociocratically, has a required work commitment and they charge people $12 (?) an hour for work not done. It's the resident's choice whether to work or not -- no guilt. Their annual budget process includes these hours/funds as part of the budgeting process so they also have a complete picture of the "costs" of running the community. It's the best system I've heard of.

But on the whole, I think you will find that filtering out people will be less of a problem than you expect, or that down the line the stuff you wished you had filtered for you never would have thought of before move-in.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
http://www.sociocracy.info