Home Equity Co-op
From: maggiedutton (mduttonshaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:14:14 -0800 (PST)
Nathan quoted:
>       "The main distinction between a housing co-op and other forms of
homeownership is
> that in a housing co-op you don't directly own real estate. But if you
don't own real estate,
> what exactly are you buying? You are buying shares or a membership in a
cooperative
> housing corporation. The corporation owns or leases all real estate."

The only cohousing community in Calgary is a new breed of Co-op.  They own
their units and share of the common areas as a condo but have a co-op for
the social side.  I am sure this idea could be expanded to include the work
side of life.  New buyers have to be accepted as members of the co-op first.
This is their website http://www.prairiesky.ab.ca/welcome.htm

Maggie Dutton,
www.sociocracyinaction.ca
in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.