Re: Group Forming need advice
From: nathan schomber (wanderlustbusyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:04:55 -0800 (PST)
Hi Catya and all,
  So does that mean that legally, in order to purchase a parcel in a condo
assoc. one must agree to follow and be bound by the condo rules?

  Nathan & Sarah
  Asheville, NC

Catya Belfer-Shevett <catya [at] homeport.org> wrote:
  Hi Nathan,

I think that if you do individual title your best bet is a condo
association with some pretty strict condo rules that new people have to
sign on to. It's still self-selection, but you can heavily influence
who will self-select.

- catya

nathan schomber wrote:
> Thanks Catya, for your suggestion. I checked it out a little.
> At least on the surface, it doesn't seem that a coop would be what we're
> looking for.
>
> Here are some quotes from the National Association of Housing Cooperatives
> website.
>

> "The main distinction between a housing co-op and other forms of
> homeownership is that in a housing co-op you don't directly own real estate.
> But if you don't own real estate, what exactly are you buying? You are buying
> shares or a membership in a cooperative housing corporation. The corporation
> owns or leases all real estate."
>
> This wouldn't work for us as we want to own with title our individual
> parcels. That's why we like about cohousing. Also from that website:
>
> "Are co-ops allowed to discriminate?
> Like any other form of housing, cooperatives may not discriminate based on
> the protected classes listed in the Fair Housing Act, which includes race,
> color, religion, sex, familial status, national origin, or disability.
> Historically, the basic cooperative principles include both open membership
> without restriction as provided by law and non-partisan in politics and
> non-sectarian in religion."
>

> Our group would never discriminate based on those factors. Indeed we welcome
> diversity of race, color, religion, sex, familial status, national origin, or
> disability. What would be determining factors for membership would be shared
> values and lifestyle implementation of those shared values. We want to be
> surounded by folks who embrace caretaking of the Earth, low impact and
> sustainable stewardship of the land. Dedication to living permaculture
> principles. Folks endeavoring to produce more than they consume. Because
> we'll be living and working together most of our time, we need to be able to
> select members we feel fit with our goals and lifestyle. But, from the above
> quote, I gather that co-ops are in the same boat as cohousers with regards to
> not being able to select members. I don't see how a housing co-op would would
> be the answer in that respect.
>
> Maybe there are co-op variations but it still seems that the cohousing model
> might be the closest for our puroses. Peace to You- Nathan
>

> Catya Belfer-Shevett wrote:
> Sounds like you want a co-op; depending on what state you are in you
> will have better or worse luck with financing.
>
> - catya
>

> nathan schomber wrote:
>> Thanks for the info so far!
>>
>> I'm curious if anyone has experience or knowledge of different ways to set
>> up a legal structure whereby a group still has full control over
>> membership/"who buys in" while still qualifying for bank loans. Is 'first
>> right of refusal" an option that actually works. Have groups successfully
>> used it? If so what were the general circumstances. It seems that there are
>> opposing views on this. Maybe there are other options?

> [...]

Catya Belfer-Shevett 'This is not the .sig you're looking for.'
catya [at] pobox.com 'You can go about your business.'
'Move Along.'