Re: Membership screening
From: Audrey Watson (audreygalisteo.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:16:24 -0800 (PST)
Winslow Cohousing is organized as a co-op, and we do have right of first
refusal.  We have never exercised it.  That would require the community to
have the money to actually purchase a unit, instead of the intended buyer.

We use our membership purchase process as a way to screen new members. They
are required to participate in a social event (a community dinner
qualifies), go to at least one general meeting, at least one cluster
meeting, and to go thru a clearness interview where they meet with members
to talk about living in community and we discuss the pros and cons.  By the
time someone has done all of that, (which is not a fast process), they are
fairly knowledgeable about what they are getting into. And, they have to
have done that process before they can sign a purchase and sale agreement,
sometimes that is awkward given how schedules go and how the purchase
negotiation process is accomplished.

All that said, I don't think we have any different participation issues than
any other cohousing group that I've seen or talked to.

--audrey watson
Winslow cohousing.