Re: Putting in a good word for NOT selecting our cohousingneighbors
From: Cher Stuewe-Portnoff (cherworks01yahoo.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 05:52:45 -0800 (PST)
I was just trying to think of how to say this when Joani's message popped up
and said it well. Our experience with cohousing communities is more recent
and more limited than hers, but the experience we've had with coho groups
(and with other cooperative affinity groups) over many years leads us to
make these observations:

Those groups that are most clear and transparent about what they value and
believe and how they operate seem to attract like folks -- very different,
often surprising, in the "packages" they come in; but similar in essential
ways that make them a good fit.

Those groups that downplay or fail to be fully up-front about who they are
and what they are about seem to find themselves colonized by unsuspecting
folks -- people who were looking for something else and didn't realize what
they were getting into. Sometimes it works out; often it doesn't.

And the very, very few groups that I've known who screened and selected
seemed monolithic, homogenous -- lacking in richness, lacking in breadth of
skills, lacking in emotional depth and vitality -- kind of robotic. Also
short-lived. I'm sure there are endless exceptions.

As a person in one rural, wooded community we lived in for a few years told
us years ago, "We don't need to control who moves in here. The forest thins
itself." And so it did.

Cher (& Greg)
Clayton, MO